New Passport Requirements
Department of State – Office of Spokesman
TRAVELING TO THE CARIBBEAN, BERMUDA, CANADA OR MEXICO?
NEW PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS
The intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA) mandated that the U.S. Secretaries of Homeland Security and State develop and implement a plan to require U.S. citizens and foreign nationals to present a passport or other appropriate secure identity and citizenship documentation when entering the United States. As a result of this legislation the two agencies have developed a plan called the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).
Click here to view the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all travelers to and from these areas to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements.
This initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline is as follows:
December 31, 2005 – Requirement applied to all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.
December 31, 2006 – Requirement extended to all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.
December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all air, sea and land border crossings.
United States citizens can visit the State Department’s travel website, travel.state.gov, or call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793
Passport customers should allow a sufficient amount of time to apply and receive their passport in advance of travel. Please allow 6 weeks for routine processing of passport applications. If urgent travel is needed and a passport is required sooner, please visit travel.state.gov for additional information.
Obtaining A Passport
TO OBTAIN A PASSPORT YOU WILL NEED:
- AN APPROVED COLOR PASSPORT PHOTO.
- The photograph must be clear, with a full front view of your face, un-retouched and taken within the last 6 months. The background should be White or ‘very’ light and your
- clothing should be darker colored normal street attire. (Pg.2 of application instructions)
- A STATE CERTIFIED COPY OF YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
- This must have a raised, State Seal on it. Hospital Certificates & Birth Abstracts are not acceptable.
- If you are a Naturalized Citizen you must present us with your Original Naturalization Papers.
All original documents that are sent with your application are returned to you in a separate mailing.
We have to identify ALL APPLICANTS & you must present your CURRENT PHOTO IDENTIFICATION (ie:Drivers License) or some other form of secondary identification.
Each applicant must be present at the time of application acceptance. (This includes children.)
Check or Money Order made payable to the U.S. Department of State for Passport Processing Fees as described below.
Cash or check made payable to the Washington County Clerk for Execution fee for each application.
To obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate you must contact the state agency within your birth state directly. (An internet websearch is usually the quickest.)
Applications must be filled out by the applicant unless it is a small child.
Effective January 26, 2011
Routine Service (Form DS-11)
Receipt within 6 weeks — These Fees Are Non-Refundable
|Age||Passport Fee||Execution Fee||Total Fees|
|Age 16 and Over||$110.00||$25||$135.00|
|Under Age 16||$80.00||$25||$105.00|
Routine Service (Form DS-82) – Passport Renewal
Receipt Within 4-6 Weeks — This Fee is Non-Refundable
|Passport Renewal By Mail (Customer Submits) You may qualify to use this form only if:||Total Fee|
EXPEDITED Service (Form DS-11 or DS-82)
|Add $60 Per Application and 2-Way Overnight Delivery Expedite fee does not include overnight delivery.Customer must arrange for overnight delivery to ensure receipt within 7-10 days.|
|If international departure is less than 2 weeks, or passport is needed for foreign visas, application at a Regional Passport Agency may be advised. Appointment required. For the latest up to date information visit http://travel.state.gov for more information.|
Passport Applicants Under Age 16
(Two Parent Consent Law)
An application for a child under age 16 must have the following documents:
- Child’s evidence of citizenship
- If submitting a previous passport remember to include the birth certificate listing the parents or court order designating guardianship
- Proof of relationship to parent or guardian
- A birth certificate, court order, adoption decree
- Identification of the Parent(s) or guardian(s) must be listed on the application
- Non-appearing parent must provide consent
- the parent(s) or guardian(s) must sign the application
For the latest up to date information visit http://travel.state.gov
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- If I send my original Birth Certificate along with my Passport Application, is it returned?Yes. In a separate envelope.
- Is a hospital Birth Certificate acceptable?No. Only a State-issued Certified Copy or original Birth Certificate is accepted.
- Does your office do renewals?Washington County does supply renewal applications; however, we do not process them.
- Can I sign my application before I bring it in?No. The application must be signed in the presence of an authorized passport clerk.